Sore and swollen vein on right side , sore back between collar bone. Are these related?

Jan 2013

I have a sore swollen vein down my right side under my bra line to the side of my belly button.....also I have a sore back between my collar bones are these related

Posted Wed, 12 Sep 2012 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Mayank Bhargava 2 hours later
Do you have swelling/ pain in right lower limb?
Do you have fever?
Do you have any mass/ tightness feeling in your breast?
Are these veins present on left side or on tummy?
Whatever sore swollen vein you are describing is a location of a collateral vein connecting lower limb venous system with upper limb venous system.
Collateral veins are used for maintaining blood flow in case of obstruction at any level.
This is a normal physiological phenomenon.
You should consult with physician/ surgeon and by clinical examination direction of blood flow can be detected and level of obstruction can be detected.
Is it really a swollen vein or something else, it can also be detected by clinical examination.
This sore swollen vein may have thrombophlebitis (precipitated by breast pathology) and if this thrombophlebitis is proceeding further then it may also cause sore/ painful sensation in between collar bone. Upper limb veins enter in heart behind the collar bone.
You should also go color doppler study of venous system.
Put your query if you have.
Best regards,
Dr. Mayank Bhargava
Follow-up: Sore and swollen vein on right side , sore back between collar bone. Are these related? 1 hour later
I do not see a blue vein. When I feel it it hurts there is non discoloration in that area.. When I lie on it or touch it it hurts. The area is about 3 to 5 inches and it goes from under my breast on the rt side towards my abdomen .
my fear is that it is a swollen lymph node. I am not sure if that would mean I have cancer because my neck and back are sore. The pain in my back is between my shoulder blades. I misspoke before when I said collar bones. My right breast is tender. I am also due for my cycle.

Answered by Dr. Mayank Bhargava 50 minutes later

There may be following possibiliies: Hyperalgesia (increased pain sensation at affected site), Painful lipomas, painful endometriotic tissue (as it is associated with menses), painful osteochondritis, painful neurophathies.
You should consult with physician and surgeon and go for ultrasound imaging.
Dr. Mayank Bhargava