Solution for painful breathing through nose due to absence of mucus?

ENT Specialist
I often get some kind of allergy in my nose. There is no mucus in one or both nostrils and so its really painful to breath in from my nose. This happens when a heavy stream of wind flows in my nose, when I'm on bike or otherwise. I only get some relief after applying some ghee in my nose. This happens almost once every month and lasts about 3 days due to which I have problem breathing and sleeping. I do not know what this is and is there any permanent solution to this.
Posted Sun, 16 Mar 2014 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Satvinder Bakshi 17 minutes later
Brief Answer: Atrophic rhinitis Detailed Answer: Hello Please don't worry! You maybe having , what is called Atrophic rhinitis! or rhinitis sicca! Atrophic rhinitis is a chronic condition in which the nose becomes dry and may be a primary disorder or due to some other cause like surgery or infections or nutritional deficiencies. In rhinitis sicca, there is dryness and crusting due specially in hot and dry weather and this may cause discomfort and nose block Ideally in such a case, I would do an endoscopy on your nose and see what is the problem and guide you further. You may also have to do an xray to look at your sinuses and blood tests to rule out secondary causes of atrophic rhinitis. Once the cause is known, you can be treated! Regards