Soft bowel movements several times a day. Thyroid removed, have 2 parathyroid glands. Is it due to low calcium ?

I've had soft bowl movements, for the last week several times a day (3-5 times a day). I am getting concered. Is it possibly something to do with low calcium? or dairy bc i had ice cream cake? but will it last this long? also ive had my thyroid removed and 2 parathyroid glands.
Posted Thu, 12 Jul 2012 in Digestion and Bowels
Answered by Dr. Abid 15 minutes later
Thanks for your question.
To start off, low calcium levels does not lead to diarrhoea as such. It is more likely to be caused by the dairy products that you have consumed. It is possibly an infection which should take care of itself in a few days. However, if you have fever or blood in your stools, you would need oral antibiotics.
Till then, I would suggest:
a. Keep yourself well hydrated. Have plenty of fluids. An oral rehydration solution would also help.
b. Have plenty of yoghurt and avoid any heavy food as such.

Hope this helps. Let me know if I can address any more concerns.
Follow-up: Soft bowel movements several times a day. Thyroid removed, have 2 parathyroid glands. Is it due to low calcium ? 22 minutes later
There is no blood or anything in it. I'm a little crampy sometimes before a go and its been watery light in color and not a huge bowl movement. is it still okay?
Answered by Dr. Abid 20 hours later
Thanks for writing back.
Abdominal cramps associated with watery stools can be because of infection. I would suggest you see a general physician, get a stool examination done and get a course of oral antibiotics if you still have fever.