Sneezing, popping sound on the right side of abdomen, sharp pain while moving, coughing, breathing. Treatment ?

Sneezed and felt a pop on my right side abdomen with immediate sharp pain. Now it hurts to move and coughing is very painful. I can breath fine, but feel pain when taking a XXXXXXX breath.
Posted Wed, 25 Apr 2012 in Abdominal Pain
Answered by Dr. Minoo Bhagia 54 minutes later

It most probably seems like a cracked your rib with hairline fracture.

Get an X XXXXXXX chest (PA view) done.

Take rest.

You can take a good cough syrup and do steam inhalations.

Hot fomentation on the pain site and application of anti inflammatory gels will also help.

Ultrasound of abdomen is also very important as we don't want to miss anything like pain of gall stones.

Consult your physician regarding the same and analgesics like paracetamol and diclofenac can be taken after his advise.

Get well soon.

Any further query is most welcome.

Follow-up: Sneezing, popping sound on the right side of abdomen, sharp pain while moving, coughing, breathing. Treatment ? 12 hours later
Thank you. Just to follow up, I was doing some physical labor the day before and noticed some soreness in the same spot prior to the sneezing and pop incident. I wonder if I pulled a rib muscle or cartalidge, etc. Is that possible? I don't think it's gall stones since the pain feels muscular and movement orientated. FYI, the location is mid way up the ab on the right side above the love handle.
Answered by Dr. Minoo Bhagia 11 hours later
Welcome back
Yes it seems more of a muscular pain or myalgia but can be a fractured rib.
Treatment for both conditions is same and that is rest , hot fomentation , application of analgesic , anti inflammatory ointments and oral analgesis plus rest.
Cough should not be there as it is going to aggravate the condition.
So it is better to take a course of antibiotics and cough syrups under your physician's guidance.
X XXXXXXX chest should also be done in case there is any pleural infusion.

Best wishes