Smoking hookah. Having chest pain. How to get relief from chest pain?

Dec 2014

i am having chest pain. i used to smoke hookah regularly. I feel the chest pain from inside, also when i press it from oustide , it pains. Can you please guide me through the steps I need to take to stop this chest pain. I have quit smoking for past 1 week.
Posted Wed, 8 May 2013 in Smoking and Alcohol Addiction
Answered by Dr. Seikhoo Bishnoi 18 minutes later
Welcome to Health Care Magic

Smoking hookah results in inhalation of nicotine and other alkaloids of tobacco. Long term smoking of any substance is harmful. It cause serious effects on lungs and heart. It also alter mental functions. Chest pain in your case may occur due to two type of main reasons-

- If you have developed the pains recently after quitting hookah then it is most likely due to withdrawal syndrome of tobacco. Individual may develop anxiety, pain in chest, restlessness, irritability, impaired cognition etc symptoms. The symptoms occur acutely for 1-4 weeks and in milder form may continue to present for even 6 months. If you are not able to work properly I would advise you to take low dose clonazepam like 0.25 mg to relieve anxiety and chest pain, for few days only. Along with this also take some antacid medicine like Pentoprazole 40mg in morning empty stomach.

- If chest pain is present since long duration then it might be due to inflammation of respiratory mucosa. I would like to advise you to get your Chest X XXXXXXX done to rule out any chronic inflammation. But apart from chest pain cough and breathlessness also occur in inflammation. Consult a good Physician if pain is not bearable.

If you have more questions you can ask again in follow up. Also let me know about duration of pain as well as nature of pain, if it is present continuously or present episodically.

Dr. Seikhoo Bishnoi, MD