Smoker, have bronchitis with cough. What could be the problem?

haven't been feeling well, different symptomsI am a smoker, so when i was told i have bronchitis I was like ok. Never went away and now i have this horrible hacking cough that drains the very life out of me. I am trying to quit but now I am worried that i possibly might have an std but I'm not sure, I get tingling down there all the time. I have just recently quit fast food and I stick to healthy and organic foods for the last two weeks. this morning though i woke up after just three hours of sleep in a puddle of sweat. I am not sure what is going on. Maybe to many changes to my lifestyle?
Posted Thu, 28 Mar 2013 in Lung and Chest disorders
Answered by Dr. Luchuo Engelbert Bain 50 minutes later
Hi and thanks for the question,
having a tingling down there is certainly not due to the fact that you are a smoker. It shall be interesting to know if recently you have had unprotected sexual intercourse. This could be a risk factor for a sexually transmitted infection.
Secondly, coughing if you a smoker on bronchitis is worth investigating. Depending on the amount of year you have spent on smoking and the number of cigarettes smoked, this could be an important risk factor for chronic bronchitis, which causes excessive coughing and in the long run, lung cancer.
Consulting a pulmonologist for a proper evaluation would be helpful. Other, not very rare conditions that cause chronic cough are pulmonary TB that must always be borne in mind when presented with chronic cough.
Your doctor shall certainly prescribe some tests for you to screen and diagnose sexually transmitted infection, or a urinary infection (Urethritis).
Consulting a pulmonologist for a global evaluation of these symptoms is worth considering. In the mean time, it would be a great idea quitting smoking, and avoiding unprotected sex if you are in a situation. Counselling your partner, if any, to get consulted is also a brilliant idea.
Thanks and best regards,
Luchuo, MD>
Follow-up: Smoker, have bronchitis with cough. What could be the problem? 1 hour later
Thankyou for the answers I was just curious and I have already set up those appointments. Thankyou
Answered by Dr. Luchuo Engelbert Bain 7 hours later
Thanks and best regards,
Luchuo, MD.