Ask a Dentist   »  

Small area of broken skin in the hard pallet of mouth, have cold. Being on provizon causing this?

Pediatrician, Infectious Diseases
Hi I have had a small area of broken skin in the hard pallet of my mouth! I have had a cold for the last few days! And I'm currently taking provizon 15 which contains sibutramine could this cause it. I also do suffer from cold sores but not during this cold
Posted Thu, 19 Apr 2012 in Dental Health
Answered by Dr. Hema Yadav 33 minutes later

Thanks for posting the query.

Sibutramine does cause side effects like , dry mouth, altered taste sensation and loss of apetite commonly and in case of allergy it may cause swelling of lips, tongue, throat.

In your case, it is mostly an ulceration (sore) of the mucosa caused by the cold and possibly aggravated by sibutramine effects on drying of oral mucosa.

Sometimes vitamin deficiencies like vitamin B deficiency may be the reason for mouth ulcers or sores.

So though the situation as of now doesn't seem worrisome, kindly do the following.
1.Practise adequate oral hygiene and do warm saline gargles thrice daily.
2.If possible consult your doctor for stopping the sibutramine temporarily and also get a prescription for a b complex multivitamin supplement.
3.If the cold persists for more than a week from now, or if you notice increase in size of the sore, any
bleeding or swelling associated , then consult an Ear Nose Throat surgeon for complete evaluation and confirmation of diagnosis.

Hope I have answered your query.

Please accept my answer if you do not have any more queries.

Wishing you speedy recovery.