Slipped on stairs, lump on upper leg. What could it be?

General Surgeon
I am 53 year old and recently slip at the top of some stairs and fell and landed on my left side just below my hip. the coloration is now gone but I have this rather large lump on the side of my upper left leg. What could it be?
Posted Tue, 11 Sep 2012 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 2 hours later

This might be a hematoma located XXXXXXX inside your muscles. It happens when after a trauma some blood vessels are wounded and blood flows into a muscles. "And thigh has a lot of muscles and a lot of space for hematomas".

Small hematomas mostly do vanish naturally, but some larger may turn into abscess. That is why you should have ultrasound of this area to make sure what are you dealing with.

Hope this will help. Feel free to ask further questions.