Slip disc problem. MRI done. Suggested exercise and physiotherapy. What is the permanent solution?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
This is XXXXXXX and I am enquiring about my mother. She has slip disc problem and MRI shown that around 3-4 disc were ruptured. We have shown to Dr .Malatesh in CMH -Indiranagar Hospital. Dr. has advised medicine for 3-4 weeks. After that once pain is reduced he asked her to do some exercise and may be Physical therapy.

Please let me know is their any other perment solution for this other than operation.

Posted Wed, 23 May 2012 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 6 hours later
Your mother is having a disc prolapse. The treatment is done according to the severity of symptoms. Medicines are the first line treatment along with physiotherapy. If the patient responds well with medicines then physiotherapy helps in preventing further progression of the problem. Surgery is kept as a last resort to improve the quality of life of the patient.
The main treatment of such problem is bed rest along with pain killers and muscle relaxants. Muscle relaxants can help with her symptoms if used in appropriate dosage in combination with a potent analgesic. You can get these prescribed from her orthopedician.
Local analgesic gels and hot fomentation may provide a short term relief. She can use analgesic gels like Volini gel. Exercise is not advisable in the times of acute pain.
Using an LS contour belt of appropriate size might be helpful in providing support to back muscles.
Physiotherapy also plays a major role in treating such conditions. Epidural steroid injections have been used if oral pain killers are not very effective and surgical treatment is not considered. Discuss with your orthopedician and an appropriate treatment can be planned depending on the response to medical drugs.

I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.