Slip disc and disc protrusion, HLAB27 positive, ankylosing spondylitis. Blood tests, MRI done. Treatment options?

I went for series of blood tests and spinal MRI on Monday in which I was diagnosed with L5 S1 Disc Protrusion (slip disc ) and HLAB27 +ve (Ankylosing spondylitis).
ESR done is 31 , CRP is 12 .

i want to know about the treatment for it
Posted Tue, 17 Apr 2012 in Brain and Spine
Answered by Dr. Gyanshankar Mishra 1 hour later

From your history I understand that you have been diagnosed with Ankylosing spondylitis.

I would like you to know the following:

1. There are four main treatment goals: control pain and inflammation, avoid joint and tissue damage, optimize function, and prevent the development of extra-articular manifestations like uveitis.

2. The medications include the following:
- Pain relieving & anti inflammatory medications:
a. NSAIDS- like Aspirin, Indomethacin, etc.
b. DMARDS: reduce the immune system response thus reducing the disease activity- e.g: cyclosporin, methotrexate, sulfasalazine, and corticosteroids.
c. Newer recent drugs inhibiting immune mediated disease activity - TNF alpha blockers e.g. etanercept, infliximab, golimumab and adalimumab.

3. In severe cases surgery is indicated.

4. Some physical therapy and exercises prescribed by physiotherapist helps in maintaining optimal join function.

5. Lumbosacral back support (braces) may be prescribed.

Thus, in short pain reliever and anti inflammatory tablets and physical therapy/back support may be prescribed in your case as per the evaluation of your treating Orthopedician.

Also I would like to comment on another aspect of your history. You have mentioned that recently you took Anti TB medications for lung Tuberculosis. I would like you to know that Ankylosing Spondylitis can also affect the lungs (like in TB) independently. So please consult your treating physician regarding this.

Hope I have answered your query. Please accept my answer if there are no further queries.

Wish you good health.