Slight movement under lower part of breast. Mammogram came normal. Taking xanax for anxiety. What is it?

Question
For several months I have heavy and slight movement under the lower part of left breast and it flows down the rib cage. I only notice it when I lie down without my bra. During the day I do not feel it ,so I've starting sleeping in my bra. There is no pain at all just like something is moving around in there. I had normal mammogram 11 months ago and haven't mentioned to my physician yet. I am on 1.5 mg per day of Xanax due to acute anxiety( been on it for many years)I'm 63 .
Posted Tue, 23 Apr 2013 in General Health

Answered by Dr. Jasvinder Singh 29 minutes later

If you have started Xanax recently then it can be due to side effect of this drug but if you have been taking this drug for a long time, then parasthesia should be ruled out.

It is due to dysfunctioning of neurons and is felt as numbness or vibrations. It can be due to diabetes, hypothyroidism, peripheral vascular disease, malnutrition.

The other possibility is of acid reflux. Get your blood sugar and thyroid hormones levels evaluated. You can take some vit B12 for some days and see if the symptoms improve. If the symptoms persist then get the above mentioned possibilities ruled out from a neurologist.

Also try raising the head of your bed about four inches with blocks. It also might help to avoid eating or drinking for two hours before you lie down. To help control the stomach acid, one should not drink alcohol or drinks with caffeine in them, or eat chocolate or spicy or greasy foods. Also take some antacid but if the symptoms are severe, then you may need drugs like proton pump inhibitors.

You may also need to get some investigations done to confirm the diagnosis. These include upper GI endoscopy and ultrasound abdomen.

Hope this answers your query. If you have additional questions or follow up queries then please do not hesitate in writing to us. I will be happy to answer your queries.