Sliding hernia at esophagus and duodenitis, endoscopic report, gastroenterologist. Curable?

Question
Recently i have been diagnosed as suffering from "Sliding hernia at the lower end of Esophagus & duodenitis of first part" as per Endoscopic Report.Now what should be the next treatment?Pl suggest best gastroenterologist in Kolkata.Also suggest how much time will take to cure completely.hopefully its a curable diseases.

Posted Thu, 3 May 2012 in Digestion and Bowels

Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 38 minutes later

A hiatus hernia of lower end of esophagus and duodenitis of first part is mainly caused by excessive gastric acidity.

For permanent cure of Hiatus Hernia, surgery is the only treatment.

For Duodenitis, long term suppression of gastric acid is needed with the help of various anti ulcer drugs like Proton Pump Inhibitors and Antacids.

Usually these conditions do need long term medications and symptomatic relief is achieved with regular medications. Stopping the treatment might cause recurrence.

To find a good Gastroenterologist nearest to your place, we have patient written reviews for doctors in our listing, those can guide you for a better doctor. You can search for a doctor in your area at WWW.WWWW.WW .
Or one of our customer care executives will assist you further in finding a good doctor. (Please send mail to CRM team, YYYY@YYYY )

Hope this answers your query. I will be glad to answer the follow up queries that you have.

Regards.

Follow-up: Sliding hernia at esophagus and duodenitis, endoscopic report, gastroenterologist. Curable? 17 hours later
With regard to surgery, whether it will be laproscopic, if yes than 1. How much time will be required for preparation & recovery for this surgery?, 2 How much approx cost will be required?,3.After surgery do i need long term (specify the time) medications & 4. After surgery is there any complications and any precaution i have to take with regard to my daily routine work.

Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 1 hour later
Hello.

Thanks for writing again.

If you opt for surgery, then laparoscopic procedure can be done. Now a days, it is routinely performed. It has low complications and quick recovery.

1. Preparation of surgery is not very long and usually recovery happens in 7-10 days. But dietary restrictions need to be followed for 1-2 months after surgery.

2.The approximate cost depends on the procedure taken and can only be decided by the operating surgeon.

3. After surgery also, long term medications and dietary restrictions might be needed as you have duodenitis also.

4. Complications are rare with experienced surgeon, to mention few like gas bloat syndrome, dysphagia (trouble swallowing), excessive scarring, etc. But, dietary restrictions may have to be followed.

Hope my answer is helpful. Write back if you have further queries.

Wishing you a trouble free speedy recovery.

Regards.

Follow-up: Sliding hernia at esophagus and duodenitis, endoscopic report, gastroenterologist. Curable? 22 hours later
Madam As u told that its a routine surgery & therefore could u give some idea on surgery cost (approx range) in any pvt hospital as u might be aware in your locality. Also is there any affordable specialized Govt. Hospital for this surgery. As i have a problem in duodenitis , therefore whether long term medications and dietary restrictions would be for life long?

Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 35 minutes later
Hello XXXXXXX

Thank you again for the follow-up.

In my opinion the approximate cost of surgery including the hospital stay and medicines should be around Rs. 50,000. Regarding the specialised Govt. Hospitals- all those hospitals where they have a separate gastroenterology department must be dealing with this surgery. You need to enquire about this from your local treating doctor.

For duodenitis, treatment is mainly symptomatic. If you will follow dietary restrictions, there will be less episodes of acute pain and lesser medicines will be needed.

Regards.

Mam, one of my colleague told me that open surgery is more successful than laproscopic. In Laproscopic i may face same problem/complications after some time. It has created a doubt on me more as the recovery time is more in open surgery.What would say on that. Today, is Laproscopic procedure widely accepted and successfull?

Hello again XXXXXXX

Laproscopic surgery is now widely accepted and is successful. It depends mainly on the expertise of the surgeon.

The recovery time is definitely less with laproscopic surgery.

Hope this helps.

Do write to me for any further queries.