Skin starts to get red after rubbing on anything. How to get rid of them?

when my skin is rubs on any thing it comes up in red marks or lines it last about 45 minutes then goes away i have had this about 8 months i am a 52 year old male.
Posted Mon, 27 Aug 2012 in Skin Rash
Answered by Dr. Sourav Ganguly 1 hour later

You are probably suffering from a peculiar skin disease called Dermatographic urticarial. In this condition the skin becomes raised and inflamed when stroked, scratched, rubbed, and sometimes even slapped. The symptoms are thought to be caused by mast cells in the surface of the skin releasing histamines without any allergen challenge. The urticaria persists for few seconds to few minutes.

The underlying cause of dermatographism is not known, and can last for many years without relief. 95% of chronic cases are never solved. Symptoms can be induced by periods of stress, tight or abrasive clothing, watches, glasses, heat, cold or anything that causes stress to the skin of the patient.

Regarding treatment options-
1.      Antihistamines which prevent histamine from causing the reaction are the mainstay of treatment.
2.      Mast cell stabilizer (Sodium cromoglycate) can be used topically.
3.     Allergy tests may uncover substances the patient is allergic to. Using biodegradable or hypo-allergenic soaps and laundry supplies may help.
4.     Not taking hot baths or showers to the particular region.

Consult your dermatologist for final opinion regarding the diagnosis and treatment plan.

Hope I have answered your query. If you have any further questions I will be happy to help.
If you do not have any clarifications, you can close the discussion and rate the answer and write a review.

Wish you good health.

Dr Sourav Ganguly