Sinus drainage, pus pocket, painful swallowing, no tonsils, no fever

I have some sinus drainage, a puss pocket, painful swallowing only on the right side, no tonsils, no fever.
Posted Fri, 4 May 2012 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 53 minutes later

Your symptoms are suggestive of tonsilitis ( as a pus pocket can be seen) and acute sinusitis. The main treatment for your condition is a broad spectrum antibiotic which you need to get prescribed from your ENT specialist after culture and sensitivity of a throat swab.

The best treatment for stuffy nose and sinus discharge is steam inhalation. Inhaling steam from a bowl of hot (but not boiling water) may help to soften, and loosen, the buildup of mucus in your nose. You may also find that adding some menthol crystals, or eucalyptus oil, to the water helps a lot. Other than that, avoid eating indigestible, spicy, foods and meats and eat simple wholesome foods. Out-of-door exercise, sunbaths also help a lot.

You can also take some antihistaminics and analgesics for the pain and inflammation relief.

I hope you have found my answer and recommendations to be both adequate and helpful. Should you have additional questions I am available to address them.

Follow-up: Sinus drainage, pus pocket, painful swallowing, no tonsils, no fever 26 minutes later
Do you think maybe more sinusitis since I had my tonsils removed about 20 years ago. Also, with no fever should I be put on antibiotics?
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 2 hours later

Thanks for writing back.

Your symptoms can be more of sinusitis with the tonsils absent, still the pharynx can get infection which is causing difficulty in swallowing.
Pain itself is indicative of infection. If proper antibiotics are not taken, fever might develop in next 2-3 days. Better to treat early than to face complications.

Sincerely hope it will help.

Wishing you an early recovery.