Sick from long time. Started with fatigue and blurred vision. Test results showed polyp on gallbladder and cyst in kidney. Help?

Excellent

Question
I have been sick for three months. My symptoms started with fatigue, blurred vision stomach gurgling and two days of pale clay colored floating stool. Then went into diarrhea 15 times a day for a week. During that week my hands and feet sweated profously (hyperhidrosis?). They treated me for possible giardia (no stool sample tested) but didn't work. I have loss of appetite. I've lost 17lbs. I have muscle weakness (worse in the morning), blurred vision, fatigue, shakiness, motor function issues, occasional night sweats and a low grade fever that has come and go daily for three months (99.2-100.0). Labs say I'm fine. They did find non-alcoholic fatty liver and a polyp on my gallbladder and a small cyst on my kidney. I've had a catscan and ultrasound on stomach. At the beginning of this I had an MRI done on my head. I'm waiting for results on an endoscopy and colonoscopy at this point. It came on so suddenly. Ive considered gluten intolerance. Maybe MS, Lyme disease (no rash). I dont know anymore. Im at a loss. Any advice woukd be greatly appreciated.
Posted Tue, 12 Nov 2013 in Digestion and Bowels

Answered by Dr. Divya Kuttikrishnan 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Possibility:Tuberculosis/ Thyroid disorders

Detailed Answer:
Hi there.

Thanks for writing in.

Sorry to hear that you are going through a lot.

I would like to know your age. Post menopausal period is associated with night sweats.

Other possibility that comes to my mind is Tuberculosis with positive points in favour being low grade fever, night sweats, loss of appetite, weight loss and diarrhoea.

Have you been evaluated for thyroid disorders (TFT /Thyroid Function tests) . Hyperthyroidism can cause diarrhoea and weight loss.

Any anxiety related issues that might have triggered the symptoms?

Do let me know your endoscopy and colonoscopy results.

Hope you feel better soon.

Dr. Divya Kuttikrishnan

Follow-up: Sick from long time. Started with fatigue and blurred vision. Test results showed polyp on gallbladder and cyst in kidney. Help? 9 hours later
Im only 35. I have noticed that my periods have changed to being a lot heavier the last 6 months.They checked my thyroid and said it looked fine. No anxiety issues.

Answered by Dr. Divya Kuttikrishnan 11 hours later
Brief Answer:
-

Detailed Answer:
Ok. So ,thyroid disorders are ruled out.

I am quite hopeful that the endoscopy/ colonoscopy might have something.

I would suggest that you sign up for yoga classes if you have a good instructor in your area. Yoga is beneficial for both a healthy body and a healthy mind. However, results are not immediate. In the long run, definitely helpful.

Keep a food diary and find out by trial and error , which foods suit you and which don't. Avoid foods which precipitates your symptoms.

Have warm water to drink at regular intervals. Keep yourself well hydrated.

Awaiting endoscopy/ colonoscopy results.

Dr. Divya Kuttikrishnan

Follow-up: Sick from long time. Started with fatigue and blurred vision. Test results showed polyp on gallbladder and cyst in kidney. Help? 7 minutes later
Thank you so much for your response. Just looked in my throat and left side is swollen with a yellow/white spot and another one in the very back. My husband decided to press on my sinuses under my eyes and the left side really hurts horribly when he pressed on it. Maybe i had two seperate illnesses. Any chance a sinus infection could cause fatigue, weakness, loss of appetite and blurred vision?? I read it can cause intestinal issues too just now because of drainage.I dont have any mucus from nose but I have had lots of drainage in throat that i swallow. I assumed it was because of allergies maybe.

Answered by Dr. Divya Kuttikrishnan 35 hours later
Brief Answer:
-

Detailed Answer:
It is quite possible that all your symptoms could be due to the ?sinusitis/throat infection. However, with the drainage of mucous secretions it should have resulted in watery stools with a lot of mucous; also it is quite unlikely that the loose stools would have lasted 15 times a day for a week. You might need antibiotics to treat the infection. Please talk to your treating physician regarding the same.

In the meantime do the following:
1. Warm saline gargle 3 times a day.
2. Steam inhalation 3 times a day.
3. Drink warm water at regular intervals.
These are some home remedies to treat the sinusitis/throat infection.

However, as I have mentioned in my previous XXXXXXX since you have already undergone the endoscopy and colonoscopy, let us wait for the results and then decide on what needs to be done next.

Dr. Divya Kuttikrishnan