Shoulder injury, MRI showed tendinitis of rotator cuff. What is considered normal size of clavicular lymph node?

Gastroenterologist, Surgical
Question
I injured my shoulder while body surfing and then aggravated the injury while canoeing a few weeks later. This resulted in two X-rays which revealed nothing. An MRI was ordered which revealed tendinitis of the rotator cuff and impingement. The MRI reviewer also noted a 6x8mm (.6 x .8 cm) mass that appears to be a lymph node. The Ortho referred me to a General Surgeon for further investigation with the note indicating Enlarged left clavicular lymph node.

My question is what is considered "normal" size of a left clavicular lymph node in a 44 year old male.

Let me mention that I am also diabetic type 2 taking Lisinopril for HBP, Crestor, and Fortamet.

Since the shoulder injury I have been taking 1200 mg/day Ibuprofen (600 morning/600 night) and an over the counter sleep aid. I have no symptoms of illnes or pain other than the shoulder impingement.

Should I be concerned or this more of a CYA move from the physician. Don't get me wrong, I have read about the potential seriousness of the issue and will still follow-up with whoever I have to until a conclusion, bad or good, is made.
Posted Wed, 5 Sep 2012 in Medicines and Side Effects

Answered by Dr. Ajit Naniksingh Kukreja 12 hours later
Hi

Let us talk about some basics of lymph nodes

It is usually the echo on ultrasound and the appearance on the MRI or CT that is of concern rather than the normal size as it varies from patient to patient

If there was some abnormality I am sure the radiologist would have reported it

I would suggest you continue Ibuprofen till your pain and soft tissue swelling inside subsides and reassure yourself, as you have mentioned you have no pain or other symptoms then you may just skip medications , it is for you to decide if you need antiinflammatory or not

Ice sponging to the local area helps in these situations

Hope this helps
Am available for followup queries
Wishing you a healthy life ahead

Follow-up: Shoulder injury, MRI showed tendinitis of rotator cuff. What is considered normal size of clavicular lymph node? 9 hours later
Thanks you for your comment. It makes sense that size would be relative to the patient and potentially their medical history.

I have to review the report again to see if anything was mentioned about it being "abnormal". If so, the word "abnormal" is the only indication other than the size reported. It also did not sound as if the identification of it as a lymph node was definite.

Is it possible that soft tissue damage as a result of trauma from the initial injury would appear this way? It was a pretty significant impact that XXXXXXX me from the shoulder to neck.

Thanks

Answered by Dr. Ajit Naniksingh Kukreja 3 hours later
Hi

Do evaluate the report, the word abnormal may not appear in the report yet the real time interpretation is more vital

It can be a small hematoma [Collection of blood] after soft tissue injury

In any case just continue the same treatment and keep observing for any change

Am available for followup queries
Wishing you a healthy life ahead