Should i be concerned about mild and dull pain in chest ?

I am a 40-yr old female, 5'4", 160 lbs, who works out 5 to 6 days a week but am 20 to 30 lbs overweight. I am a vegetarian but I have a real penchant for cheese and chocolate. I have been experiencing mild, dull pain in left chest on and off for past few months. No arm numbness. Had a stress test about 4 yrs ago which came back normal. I do eat quite a bit of chocolate. Should I be concerned about this pain?
Posted Sun, 15 Apr 2012 in Lung and Chest disorders
Answered by Dr. Raju A.T 47 minutes later

Thanks for your query,

I would not consider it to be cardiac pain as it most of times will be severe and sharp pain associated with either numbness or pain in the left upper limb.

Eating chocolate or cheese more can make you over weight i do not expect any undesired effects of the same unless you are allergic to milk products.

The dull pain you have if is associated with nausea , dizziness, palpitation , headache or increased burps ,then the possibility of it being acid peptic disease is more either due to hyper secretion of stomach acid (due to stress) or due defective protection mechanism of the stomach mucosa against the effects of acid(due to drugs like pain killers) .

I would suggest you to take Tab Prilosec 20mg once daily early in the morning before food for a minimum of 1 week. If you see a relief then continue the same for another week for complete recovery.

Do avoid high fat and spicy foods.

If there is no relief even after above medication i would advice you to get a Upper GI endoscopy which gives detailed insights to think over your symptom.

Hope I have answered your query. If you have any follow up queries I will be available to answer them.
Follow-up: Should i be concerned about mild and dull pain in chest ? 26 minutes later
I am lactose intolerant so I guess the cheese/chocolate combo isn't helping my digestive system much. I also recently had a endoscopy/colonoscopy which came back normal except for some acid reflux. I don't normally recognize any reflux but maybe it presents itself as dull pain in left chest?
Answered by Dr. Raju A.T 16 minutes later
Hi again,

Thanks for following me up,

Yes acid reflex does present with dull pain in the chest,since you were previously diagnosed with acid reflex I would consider the same cause as the reason for the pain this time .

If the endoscopy done was more than a year back then I advice you to get a repeat endoscopy to know the progression of the disease.

Meanwhile take the Tab I suggested (Prilosec ) it will help.

Lactose intolerance presents with watery diarrhea , lower abdomen pain, gaseous abdomen as and when you consume the foods containing lactose.

Wish you good health.