Should i be concerned about low bp and palpitations?

Hi i'm a fit 42 yr old female (5ft 6" and 130 pounds) . My blood pressure seems consistently low(sys 90 and dias 54 with pulse of 75) and I occasionally suffer from palputations. I exercise 3 times a week and eat well. Is my bp a concern?
Posted Sat, 14 Apr 2012 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Answered by Dr. Deepak Anvekar 36 minutes later
Hello ,

Based on the information, given your BMI is 21 (Normal Range 19 - 25). Hence a BP on the lower side might not be that worrying.

In case, the low pressure readings cause symptoms and discomfort, then you need to undergo testing. In case you do not have symptoms, inspite of a low BP, then such changes might be very benign and can be observed over time.

Blood pressure varies in different individuals and is very specific to each person. A low BP for a individual might be a normal reading for another.

In case the blood pressure readings taken prior to the episodes had been higher than the present readings , then additional testing might be needed. Presence of palpitations, sweating, and dizziness during such episodes of low blood pressure which resolve after some time, might indicate conditions causing orthostatic hypotension, autonomic neuropathy, or other cardiac causes.

The best step in management of your symptoms would be to under-go testing for thyroid abnormalities, EKG, and if needed a holter monitoring. Additional tests include a echocardiogram. when recording has been consistently lower than the normal measured blood pressure.

Treatment would depend on the underling cause of your symptoms.

I shall be available for any follow up questions that you might be having.