Should headache due to a fall be a reason to visit doctor as I've already had 2 strokes ?

i fell two weeks ago in the bathroom and hit my head in two places along with other parts of my body, did not go to er, and i am also on anti fungal medication for fungus infection in my lungs, i have had two strokes and 2 i PE from clotting issues, i have had a bad headache for two days, hurts so bad that touching the scalp hurts all ers in the arrea are packed, should i go or wait to see if it goes away, the doctor that gave me the antifungal med said to go to primary dr, i don't have one, the thoughtr of sitting in the er for hours with this headache is not an option
Posted Sun, 29 Apr 2012 in Headache and Migraines
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 23 minutes later

Recurrent strokes and recurrent pulmonary embolism are treated with antiplatelets and anticoagulants. You have not reported being on any of these medications.

I would like to know if you are on any such medications?

If you are on these medications, scalp injuries may bleed leading to hematoma causing the pain and tenderness.

The possibility of raised intracranial tension probably due to intracranial hemorrhage or edema as a result of concussion also needs to be ruled out. This problem needs an immediate medical attention and investigations like CT scan and MRI are entailed. I encourage you to consult a physician or a neurologist who can guide you through the tests.

In the meanwhile, the following will help you in symptomatic relief:

1. Acetaminophen (Tylenol) can be taken to help the pressure symptoms in your head.
2. Eating a light diet.
3. Avoiding exercise, weight lifting, or heavy activities. Light activity around the home is okay. You need not need to stay in bed.
4. Avoiding alcohol until you have completely recovered.
5. Use of ice packs over the affected region.

I hope my answer and recommendations are adequate and helpful. Waiting for your further follow up queries if any.

Follow-up: Should headache due to a fall be a reason to visit doctor as I've already had 2 strokes ? 2 hours later
i was on cumidin, but the anti fungal meds mess up the levels, i have been told that i have histoplasmosis(sp) i took a vicadin 1 hour ago and the pain has subsided a bit.
the pain is from ear to ear along the base of my head, i am more scared that i have a clot in my head, that is what caused my stroke years ago.
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 5 hours later

Thanks for writing again.

If you have stopped coumadin suddenly, you are at risk of thromboembolism.

I encourage you to consult a physician or your neurologist for evaluation as early as possible.

Let me also suggest you few symptoms that you need to watch out for - diffuse headache, vomiting, slurring of speech, difficulty to swallow, weakness in the limbs, difficulty to walk, dizziness, imbalance while walking and so on. If you notice these symptoms, it warrants immediate attention at the ER.

Hope this helps.

Wishing you an early recovery.