Should exposure to computer be avoided in case of myasthenia gravis or horner's syndrome ?

Yes, my name is XXXXXXX 54 years old Graphics designer who spends 8-10 hour a day staring closely at computer... been tested with MRI, Head Scan and cocaine eye drops, told that I have either myasthenia gravis or horner's synsdrome? does this mean I should quit my computer based career? My right eye seems to be only one affected and causes great redness, droopy lid and pain late in the day.
Posted Tue, 8 May 2012 in Vision and Eye Disorders
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 11 minutes later

Both myaesthenia gravis or horner's syndrome are not caused by constant staring at the computer screen.
You need to identify the cause of Horner's syndrome with the help of your physician.
Quitting the computer based career is not going to help your problem.
Myaesthenia gravis can become symptomatically better with drugs and you can continue your routine work.
You can do some eye exercises to strengthen your external ocular muscles under the guidance of your ophthalmologist to help improve the symptoms.

I hope my answer and recommendations are adequate and helpful. Waiting for your further follow up queries if any.

Follow-up: Should exposure to computer be avoided in case of myasthenia gravis or horner's syndrome ? 53 minutes later
Because I work doing Graphic Design (up close to computer monitor) are there other causes I should be considering that are causing pain, drooping eyelid and red eyes after /during long hours in front of computer screen?

I am baffled that my doctors seems to be stuck with this diagnosis. Would it help to take 30-day test, to spend only 3 hours tops at my computer to see if symptons get better? What else can you recommend?

One expert told me to wash my eyes with baby shampoo every morning?
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 1 hour later
Thanks for writing again.

You might also have dry eyes and you can use artificial tears in both the eyes every two hours available at all pharmacies. Drooping eyelids might not improve but rest of the symptoms may be relieved.

You can take a 30 -day test and can also start focussing at a distant point after every 15 minutes of continuous work at computer.

For diagnosing Myasthenia Gravis you can do Edrophonium test . Horner's syndrome is diagnosed by Cocaine drop test and Paredrine test.
You can discuss with your physician and find out if this is done.

Washing your eyes with baby shampoo seems to be a fruitless and XXXXXXX thing to do.

Hope my answer is helpful.
Wishing you a trouble free speedy recovery.