Should I retain my pregnancy if there is risk of birth defects?

My last regular period was on 19th July, I was on Dronis 20 contraceptive pills. However, I stopped the intake of pills midway i.e. on 02nd August. I had physical contact with my husband on the 7th of August. Thereafter in the fear that I don’t conceive I took an I Pill on 8th August. Now I have missed my periods which was due on the 19th August. A urine test on 23rd August has confirmed that I am pregnant. Now we have decided to retain the pregnancy.
But, my Dr. has suggested that there may be complication in some cases especially with soft skin tissue in the fetus due to the reaction of Dronis pills. My question is please advice if we should go ahead with the pregnancy as we are worried that the new born could be imbalanced. I already have a 3 year old and this will be my second. Please please advice.
Posted Tue, 24 Apr 2012 in Child Birth
Answered by Dr. Robert Galamaga 42 minutes later
Hello and thank you for submitting your question.

I understand you are in a stressful situation and I will try to provide you with some good information and recommendations regarding your concerns.

Unfortunately there is no 100% advice that can be given regarding this pregnancy. The fact that you have been on this medication previously may increase the risk of birth defects. However there is no way to make sure of this prior to continuation of the pregnancy.

I believe that the decision to continue the pregnancy is one that you will have to discuss with your husband knowing that there is a small risk of potential birth defects as mentioned by your doctor. I unfortunately cannot provide you with reassurance that there will be no complications. However there is still a good chance that the pregnancy will continue normally and there will be no problem.

Again I think you have to consider everything including, how you and your husband feel about carrying a child to term regardless of whether the child is completely healthy or if the child has some type of problem.

Again I thank you for submitting your question. Hopefully you have found my response to be helpful. I am available if you have any additional concerns. I'm sure this is a very stressful issue for you and I look forward to helping you with it.

Dr. Robert.