Should I be worried about the findings from the sonography and Doppler reports?

Mar 2016

Hi Doctor, My wife is pregnant and last menstrual period was 14.03.2013. She had done sonography and colour Doppler today. I want clarification of some points 1) placenta shows grade 3 maturity with calcification seen within. 2) both uterine arteries shows pre diastolic notch could be suggestive of early utero placental insufficiency. 3) loose loop of umbilical cord is seen around neck of fetus. Please clarify are there any reason to worry. Also heart rate is 182 bpm. Average gestational age as per ultrasound is 37 weeks 2 days. Estimated fetal weight is 2804 gms. Rest all parameters are ok.
Posted Wed, 25 Dec 2013 in Pregnancy
Answered by Dr. S Patra 2 hours later
Brief Answer: NEED PROPER ASSESSMENT. CONSULT WITH DOCTOR. Detailed Answer: Hello, Thanks for writing to us. Followings are my comments: 1) Placental calcification around or after 37 weeks is considered normal and is not a reason to induce labor or to have a C-section. Women with this condition may need to see their doctor more often to check their baby’s growth. It is basically ageing of placenta which means not getting enough oxygen and nutrients to the baby. Deposits of calcium in the placenta could cause parts of the placenta to die or be replaced with fibrous tissue which is unhelpful tissue in the placenta. Routine calcium intake shouldn't be overdosed and antacid should be reduced. Diabetes and high blood pressure should be ruled out. 2) Pre-diastolic notch on both uterine artery is basically seen in pre-eclampsia or pregnancy induced hypertension (PIH). It can leads to early or late utero- placental insufficiency which may cause adverse effect to baby like IUGR (Intrauterine Growth Retardation), Fetal distress of baby. In such case, proper assessment is required and mode of delivery is preferably C-section. After birth Special Neonatal Care in NICU or SNCU may be required in some cases. 3) Single loop of cord around fetal neck is seen in few percentage pregnancy during 2nd/ 3rd trimester. It usually does not cause any problem or complication during delivery of the baby. Though, special measures are needed to be taken by healthcare attendant/ staff to avoid asphyxia or respiratory distress of the baby during delivery. Kindly, consult with her obstetrician for overall check up to assess fetal well being. Blood pressure should be checked properly along with Blood Sugar and Urine albumin if these are not done recently. Hope, I have answered your query. Let me know, if you need any clarification. Wish her good health and successful motherhood. Regards, Dr Soumen For future query, you can directly approach me through WWW.WWWW.WW
Follow-up: Should I be worried about the findings from the sonography and Doppler reports? 27 hours later
Hello Doctor, I went for check up to my gynaecologist today and she noted swelling in feet and in abdomen. Blood pressure was 150/90. She has given norfloxacin tz and mebendazole tablets. I have read over internet that it is class c drugs and are to be taken when benefits outweighs risks. So please advice are class c drugs safe during 38 weeks of pregnancy.
Answered by Dr. S Patra 9 hours later
Brief Answer: DETAILS ARE GIVEN BELOW. Detailed Answer: Hello, Thanks for follow up query. Followings are my comments: 1) Your Blood Pressure is slightly higher than normal level. Kindly, consult with your OBSTETRICIAN for anti-hypertensive medication to avoid related risk and complication during delivery of baby. 2) Norfloxacin, Tinidazole and Mebendazole are contraindicated during pregnancy and classified as Category-C which means adequate studies shows fetal risk on animal reproduction and there is no or well-controlled studies on human. It can be given among pregnant women when potential benefits are required. However, it is better to take SAFER alternative medicine after consultation with doctor. Hope, I have guided you properly. Kindly, close the discussion if you don't have any other query. All the best and good luck. Regards, Dr Soumen