Should I be worried about swollen lymph nodes behind ear?

Sep 2012

The lymph nodes behind my ear are swollen should I be worried?
Posted Thu, 27 Dec 2012 in Infections
Answered by Dr. Das Arindam 27 minutes later
Thank you for posting a question.

Firstly, a lymph node may get enlarged due to many causes. Most commonly, there is reactive hyperplasia of the lymph node due to infection. Here infection of oral mucosa, any skin infection may be considered. Even, presence of dandruff can lead to this type of conditions.

To differentiate these causes from each other you need to visit a general physician. A thorough clinical examination including shape, size, mobility, consistency of the lymph node should be noted. If any infection found that should be treated by proper antibiotics. If course of antibiotics cannot give any relief, a fine needle aspiration cytology can be considered. If that also becomes non contributory, then surgical excision should be considered.

So, you should visit a general physician for clinical examination.

Hope, this information suffices. Let me know, if you have any more question.