Should I be worried about my blood pressure? I drink and smoke

thank you, my blood preassure is 140 over 106 should i be worried?
ive been drinking and smoking
Posted Thu, 26 Apr 2012 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Answered by Dr. Shanthi.E 44 minutes later
Thank you for posting your query.
For your age of 41 years, the upper value i.e. systolic blood pressure of 140 seems to be fine but what is of more concern here is the lower value i.e. diastolic blood pressure of 106. This diastolic blood pressure value of 106 is on the higher side. Drinking excessive amounts of alcohol and smoking does raise your blood pressure.
But a diagnosis of hypertension cannot be made using a single reading. Your blood pressure needs to be checked on 3 different occasions atleast a month apart. If it remains in this range, you may need anti-hypertensive therapy.

At present, try to relax and rest. It should stabilize if the increase in blood pressure was due to any stress.

I will be available for follow-up queries.