Should I be concerned about tumor on liver to be intrahepatic cholangiocarcinoma?

Repeat of history info ... BACKGROUND: Non-smoker Do drink alcohol very physically active and fit kidney removed 10 yrs ago, renal cell carcinoma RECENTLY: dull ache in RUQ, some overall body fatigue. alt/asp/alp ... 11, 16, 178 bilirubin, albumin, INR ... 0.8, 4.2, 1.0 CT & MRI show 5 cm tumor on top of liver segment 7 & some sludge in the gallbladder. intrahepatic cholangiocarcinoma suspected & with much difficulty due to tumor location, a needle biopsy was performed guided by CT. biopsy was negative and now recommendation is to wait with further observation. QUESTIONS: (1) seems possible that the biopsy samples may have missed the active cancer cells (if really present) .... should another biopsy be done? (2) MRI imaging seems to only suggest the ICC possibility ... should I consider this possibility as being a strong one or are they simply being cautious? (needle biopsy seems pretty invasive for a "guess") (3) any other symptoms to be aware of?
Posted Fri, 3 Jan 2014 in Cancer
Answered by Dr. Ratnakar Kini 2 hours later
Brief Answer: Detailed answer given below Detailed Answer: Hi, Thanks for posting your query. I am Dr.Ratnakar Kini and I am pleased to assist you. Since your bilirubin and liver enzymes are within normal limits, it is less likely to be intrahepatic cholangiocarcinoma. Negative biopsy finding just confirms that it is not a malignant lesion. Abnormal liver function tests should be present. Jaundice, weight loss, pale stools, itching, fatigue are some of the other symptoms. I hope that answers your question. Let me know if I can assist you further. Regards, Dr.Ratnakar Kini