Should I be concerned about the lightheadedness immediately following the fall ?

Fell on tailbone ice skating today. Immediately following, experienced brief lightheadedness, ringing in ears and sweating, which all quickly subsided. Continued ice skating and resumed normal activity -- walking and sitting. Currently experience localized pain and discomfort in tailbone area. No other areas of pain. From my research, there seems to be no treatment for tailbone injury apart from rest, hot/cold, and pain management? Is a doctor's visit warranted? Should I be concerned about the brief lightheadedness/symptoms immediately following the fall? I did not hit my head.
Posted Tue, 17 Apr 2012 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Robert Galamaga 49 minutes later
Hello and thanks for the query.

First of all let me reassure you that I am not concerned that you have anything serious going on. Trauma to the tailbone can cause a significant amount if pain. The sheer force of the trauma to that area of the body can jolt the spine and cause a brief activation of the central nervous system which is what I suspect happened in your case. The fact that your symptoms resolved quickly and have not returned lends further support to this.

99% of trauma to the tailbone leads to nothing more than a bruise to that area. Soreness can persist for 10 to 14 days however. You might help some of the soreness at this point by taking some warm soaks in a bathtub for 20 minutes per day for the next few days. Use Tylenol for pain relief otherwise.

Even in more serious injuries which involve a fracture of the tailbone are treated the same as you said - supportive care. No need to see your doctor for now unless you have symptoms that get no better within 2 weeks.

I thank you again for your query. I hope you have found my answer to be both helpful and informative. Should you have additional followups I am available to address them.

Dr. Galamaga