Should I be concerned about minor bruise and indent round bicep with extreme painful mobility after injury?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
I fell 10 days ago on ice and have a minor bruise and indent around bicep, poor mobility when I try to make a circle with my arm, but can move my arm straight forward up to head if I go slow. Also can move arm straight out 90 degrees sideways but not higher certain movements are still extremely painful
Posted Sun, 22 Dec 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Vaibhav Gandhi 1 hour later
Brief Answer: There can be partial tear in your biceps muscle Detailed Answer: Hello, I have studied your case. As per your reports and history it looks like there can be partial tear in your biceps muscle. I will advise to Rest the part and avoid any movements that produce pain. Apply ice or a cold pack to the painful area for 15 to 20 minutes, 4 times a day for several days. Wrap the ice or cold pack in a towel. Till time you can take anti-inflammatory and antibiotic if infection is suspected. If swelling and bruise is not reducing and giving pain while I will advise you to further investigate for the cause of swelling. You may need to do MRI and Ultrasound of the swelling. Partial tear can be managed conservatively with physiotherapy with USG and TENS. Hope this answers your query. If you have additional questions or follow up queries then please do not hesitate in writing to us. I will be happy to answer your queries. If you find this answer helpful do not forget to rate it at end of discussion. Wishing you good health. Take care.