Should I advance my periods or postpone it with pills? Medicines have been prescribed for both

Hi. I am getting married on the april 25th. My periods have been quite regular and no prob. But now calculating the pattern i am likely to get periods on the 25th or the 26th of april. This month i am expected to get my periods by 26th. Do you suggest i prepone my periods or postpone it with pills? I consulted to gynaecs and they both gave two different advices. Please help. (Oct 5th, Nov 5th, Dec 2nd, XXXXXXX 2nd and XXXXXXX 29th) :-thats the history. Thank you
The medicine prescribed for preponement for 2 cycles :- Novelon daily for 21 days from 5th day. To b repeated after onset of periods. The other doctor prescribed for postponement Sysron N for 10 days 2 tablets everyday to be started 3 days before expected date of period.
Doctor . I just forgot to mention that i would be having some programmes like reception and honeymoon after the marriage which would be till 5th of May. So i cannot have my periods before it. This information may help you to suggest me a good solution.
thank you
So i am confused what would be the best thing to do.
Posted Wed, 25 Apr 2012 in Menstruation and Miscarriage
Answered by Dr. Pragnesh Vachharajani 4 hours later

Thanks for posting query.

I am glad that you planning couple of months in advance.

I can appreciate your concern. I will try to explain merits and demerits of both in simple manner.

Please understand that normally the tablets for delay in period can not be taken for more than 10 days. There chances that beyond that they may not work and you might have withdrawal bleeding when not taken properly. This is not a rule, but can happen.

Your planning is long - you want to be period free from 24th April to 5th may, to delay this much is not impossible can be done with these tablets. You may need to start them as per your doctors advise - 3 days before the expected date.

The better and preferred option for you would be going for Novelon, which an oral contraceptive drug as well. These pills will give to double benefits of timing of menstruation as well as contraceptive benefit too. These tablets are not 100% effective for contraception in first month, so to start them a month before is always good.

Again with the use of this, you can predict your period’s dates also. These are low dose drugs and safe for long term also. Please get in touch with the gynecologist again and plan things properly.

I hope this helps you to take an informed decision.

Please accept the answer in case you do not have follow up query.