Shortness of breath, chest tightness, dizziness. albuterol inhaler for exercise induced asthma. 2-D echo, EKG and stress test done, pulmonary hypertension detected. Related symptoms ?

Question
My 16 year old son was evaluated today by pediatric cardiologist. He has been experiencing shortness of breath, chest tightness, dizziness with exercise. He had a 2-D echo, EKG and exercise stress test done. Dr. diagnosed and is treating him for exercise induced asthma with albuterol inhaler. He also mentioned something about pulmonary hypertension and thickening of right ventricle. He told me he had to look closer to echo and would get a report to our family doctor in 2 days. Are these three things related? Can one cause another?
Posted Wed, 2 May 2012 in Hypertension and Heart Disease

Answered by Dr. Mohammed Tauseef 6 hours later

Thank you for the Query.

I would like to know few more things which would help me in suggesting you better:

1.) What is your Son's height and weight?
2.) Is this the first time has he experienced this?
3.) Does he have History of allergy?
4.) Does anybody else in your family has had the same problem?
5.) Does he smoke?

Take him to a Pulmonologist so that he/she may examine him and run a battery of tests like:

1.) Spirometry.
2.) Peak Flow Measurement.
3.) Allergy Skin tests

to confirm Exercise Induced Asthma. Once confirmed, he will be treated accordingly and will be asked to take two puffs of albuterol before exercise.

It can be Prevented by following the below mentioned lifestyle modifications:

1.) Let him warm up 15 minutes before strenuous exercise.
2.) Avoid cold environment and choose humid ones to workout.
3.) Avoid allergens like air pollution, pollen or pet dander during working out.
4.) He should not be breathing through his mouth and make more use of his nose whilst breathing.
5.) He should be using a face mask in cold weather.
6.) Regular exercise will keep him in good shape.

Now coming to Pulmonary Hypertension (PHTN) the symptoms in this condition mimic exactly the same as those in Exercise Induced Asthma (EIA) except lower limb swelling, bluish lips and skin due to lack of oxygen. It has to be evaluated further in detail by your Cardiologist.

EIA and PHTN are not interrelated and are two separate entities whose symptoms are same. The cause for these conditions are unknown and many other causes for PHTN which have to be ruled out.

Treatment for PHTN mainly involves medications to reduce Blood Pressure or surgery in severe cases. Your treating cardiologist will be able to explain it to you better.

1.) He should be avoiding travelling to high altitudes.
2.) Get plenty of rest.
3.) Eat healthy nutritious balanced diet which should include fresh fruits and XXXXXXX leafy vegetables.
4.) Stick to his treatment plan and go for regular follow up.

Hope I have answered your Query, I will be available to answer your follow up Queries.

I wish him Good Health.

Take Care, All the Best.

Dr. Mohammed Tauseef.

Follow-up: Shortness of breath, chest tightness, dizziness. albuterol inhaler for exercise induced asthma. 2-D echo, EKG and stress test done, pulmonary hypertension detected. Related symptoms ? 3 hours later
My son is 5'8 and weighs 152lbs. He has no allergies. He experienced about 6 months ago but the symptoms have increased since his involvement in soccer. He does not smoke. There is no one else in the family who experiences these problems.

Thank you for your help.

Answered by Dr. Mohammed Tauseef 10 minutes later

Thank you for writing back to me.

He is fine then, he has normal BMI (body mass index) and no other risk factors.

Let him follow the above mentioned advices, stick to his treatment plan and go for regular follow up.

Wish him Good Health once again.

Dr. Mohammed Tauseef.