Using inhaler for shortness of breath. Can exercise cause asthma to become worse?

Dec 2012

Hi, is it possible for exercise-induced asthma to become worse? I have been getting short of breath every day now (in the morning and evening), but I have no wheezing. It feels like I cannot catch a full breath, and that my body isn't getting enough oxygen. In the last week there have been three specific times where I got out of breath to the point where I cannot speak a full sentence without gasping for more air. Usually this resolves itself after a few minutes, but should I be using my inhaler for this?
Posted Thu, 21 Mar 2013 in Asthma and Allergy
Answered by Dr. Nsah Bernard 13 minutes later

Thanks for posting on XXXXXXX

Asthma mechanism is bronchoconstriction and exercise-induced asthma simply occurs when the bronchi are constricted due to exercise. Other factors that can provoke bouts of asthma can equally aggravate or worsen the asthma. From your description it seems, the slightest efforts now are getting bronchial constriction worst. I suggest you use your inhaler to try to dilate your bronchi to increase the airway space. Asthma has many ways of manifesting but one of its pathogmonic symptom is difficulty in breathing or shortness of breath. Wheezing might not always be there (at least not audible to the necked ear). Trying using your inhaler and if you do not feel any much better try consulting your doctor as soon as possible.

Hope this helps and wish you a better health
Dr Nsah