Short of breath, chest pain. Food in the lungs. Taken Proventil. Treatment?

I am a 62 year old male. A couple years ago I choked on a taco and end up with hamburger in my lungs after a couple months I started getting sick and short of breath, real short. In a two year span I was sick and could not breath 6 or 8 times. They finally put me on proventil it does not help much if it does at all. I also have pain like I have sticks run through my chest and out my back with pain that feels like someone is playing with the sticks in back. I have pain on both sides of my chest and shoots out my back in the middle. I live in Washington state cold and wet I went to AZ for two weeks in just a couple days I was feeling better by the time I left I felt great, well better. Drs. act like there is nothing more they can do. This is going to end up killing me. I am scared. Steve
Posted Tue, 24 Apr 2012 in Asthma and Allergy
Answered by Dr. Gyanshankar Mishra 13 hours later

From your history, I understand that you had an episode of aspiration (of hamburger food) a couple of years ago and since then you have been short of breath without any symptomatic relief. Also you have complaint of pricking chest pain which radiates to your back. A change of climate made you feel better.

I would like to know the following details that will help me in advising you in a better way:

1. After the episode of choking, a couple of years ago, were you investigated for that? If yes, what were the investigations done then and what were the reports?

2. Was a chest xray, Ct scan thorax or bronchoscopy done at that time? If yes, then what were the reports?

3. Did you have a previous history of breathlessness, coughing or wheezing episodes?

4. Do you have any known allergies (eg. allergy to dust, perfumes, eggs, etc.)? Do you have history of recurrent cold, skin rashes or burning pain in abdomen? Does a change in season affect your breathlessness /cough? (i.e. is your symptom more in the winters or spring?)

5. Do you have any history of childhood infections?

6. Previously, did you ever get your chest xray done for any chest complaints like cough or breathlessness?

7. Have you ever smoked?

8. Do you have any family history asthma, breathlessness, allergy?

9. Did you ever get your pulmonary function test done?

10 Have you ever visited a Pulmonologist before? If yes, what was the result then?

Please do let me know the above mentioned details.

Awaiting your reply.

Dr. Gyanshankar Mishra