Shivering with joint pain & headache, vomitting, nausea and head ache, with bouts of hot sweats. Is it food poisoning?

Jan 2013

hi last night I went to bed at 8pm , with in 2 hrs I was shivering , by 10pm my shivering was so bad , ( with joint pain & headache ) I called a friend and she came over to help.
I was home alone with my 6 year old daughter, my hands were shaking so much trying to call , and it was pretty scary , I made to the bath room , my face was white & I used the toilet & then threw up ( veg & chicken soup ) that I had for dinner at around 5pm. Maybe the chicken , my daughter had the same soup , with out chicken , it felt like food poisoning ?? resting up today thanks you for your advice. feeling a bit achy today ( and dry cough ) nausea & head ache , with bouts of hot sweats ..
Posted Sat, 18 May 2013 in Digestion and Bowels
Answered by Dr. Mayank Bhargava 1 hour later
Welcome to XXXXXXX forum.

With the available described details, there could also be possibility of acute viral gastroenteritis.
Presence of shivering, fatigue, muscle ache, bloating, nausea suggests the diagnosis.
Myalgia (muscle ache ) is an integral prodromal symptom of viral infection.

You should consult with XXXXXXX medicine specialist/ gastroenterologist and should go for thorough check up.
You should also go for complete blood count, ultrasound imaging, and serum electrolytes, renal function test.
You should take complete antibiotic therapy, antispasmodics, probiotics, antipyretics, if needed.
You should also take analgesics along with muscle relaxants.
You should maintain your hydration status by taking potassium XXXXXXX liquids.
Frequent loose diarrhea may cause loss of potassium with weakness and fatigue feeling.
Take soft diet along with yogurt and banana.
Avoid milk and all milk related products.

Hope that helps.
Let me know your other query.
Take care,
Dr. Mayank Bhargava
Follow-up: Shivering with joint pain & headache, vomitting, nausea and head ache, with bouts of hot sweats. Is it food poisoning? 16 hours later

Thanks you for your response to my health.
I have been feeling better ( day 2) with my diet & rest.

But I still have a concern with the Gall stones that my Ultra sound found a few weeks ago, Is there anything I should do to help with Gall stones , ie diet , cleanse , as I always have a strange feeling on my left side upper abdominal area.
I don't want them to get bigger or get more , would like to know if they are what im feeling is connecting with them ?
Thank you so much
Maria Townsend
Answered by Dr. Mayank Bhargava 7 hours later
Acute viral gastroenteritis gets corrected by itself and it is self remitting in nature.
Gall bladder is on right side, not on left side (Until unless a patient has dextrocardia).
Gall stones are common in obese female.
If you are obese or overweight, then you should reduce your weight.
You should take plenty of water along with low fat diet.
You should also go for x XXXXXXX abdomen for visibility of stone.
If stone is visible, then it contains calcium and its size won't decrease by medicines.
If stone is not visible then you should take ursodeoxycholic acid 15mg/ kg under guidance of your treating doctor.
Gall stones may remain in gall bladder for years. If right sided upper abdominal pain, fever. vomiting and jaundice is present then only you should consider for surgical intervention.
There appears to be least correlation between gall stones and your present symptoms.
Best regards,
Dr. Mayank Bhargava