Sexual intercourse, insertion for one minute, no ejaculation, day 9 of periods. Ipill necessary ?

Question
My husband and i did not exactly have sex, but he just inserted once for 1 min or so and then withdrew, there was no ejaculation or nothing, We did this on the 9th day of my periods. It hasn't been 48 hrs yet, Should i take an ipill ?Are there any chances of pregnancy ?
Thanks
Posted Sun, 22 Apr 2012 in Birth Control

Answered by Dr. Mitaly 12 minutes later

Thanks for posting your query

Pregnancy can occur due to vaginal penetration as sperms can travel through vagina even if ejaculation was not there and if precum was present as it contains sperms.

In a regular 28 to 30 days cycle duration the ovulation days(most fertile days)are 9 to 16 days of the cycle considering day 1 as the starting day of period.

Though the chances of pregnancy are rare but it is advisable to take an Emergency Contraceptive pill for protection from pregnancy.

You can also do a urine pregnancy test after a month.

Consider using different contraceptive methods as condom,pills,IUD etc for regular use .

Hope this answers your query.I will be available for follow up if any.

Follow-up: Sexual intercourse, insertion for one minute, no ejaculation, day 9 of periods. Ipill necessary ? 35 minutes later
Dear Doctor,

Thank you so much, First we did use a condom but then he lost his erection. So the second time when he inserted it was without and it was just for a min. Anyway i will take my ipill today. Is my chances of getting pregnant high ? Will there be any side effect of emergency contraceptive ?
I miss my periods every alternate month, I got mine on April 26th then may i missed then i got mine on XXXXXXX 26th.
Hereafter we will use other contraceptives.
Thank you

Answered by Dr. Mitaly 1 hour later

Thanks for the follow up query.

The chances of pregnancy are less but since he had erection before so possibility of precum being present is high.

Even if the penetration was for short duration, if sperms would have been there they can easily swim towards vagina. So it is advisable to take Emergency pill.

Regarding the side effects, the common ones are nausea, vomiting, breakthrough bleeding and delayed next period(about a week or so).

The irregularity in periods suggests hormonal imbalance and if there has been a sudden change in your cycles it requires a complete evaluation and should not be ignored.

In case you are lactating then some changes in cycle can be expected.

Best option at this time would be to take Emergency pill and wait for a month for your periods to happen.

If not, Do an Urine pregnancy test.

Hope this helps!