Severe vomiting with diarrhea. Is it food poisoning?

I have severe vomiting & diarrhoea at the same time
I think it's from food I ate at a wake this morning
Posted Fri, 27 Apr 2012 in Digestion and Bowels
Answered by Dr. Rakesh Madhyastha 1 hour later

I would like to know more about your condition so that I can assess the severity.

1. How many times have you vomited and had loose motion?
2. Do you have fever?
3. Is your stool having mucous stains or blood stains? Having foul smell? What is the color?
4. Do you have crampy stomach pain?

For now please do the following:

1. Add a pinch of salt and a fistful of sugar to 1 liter of warm water. Drink it sip by sip
This will help with the vomiting and also rehydrate you

2. Pro-biotic sachets will help the diarrhea. Yoghurt is a good pro-biotic as a home remedy. Please XXXXXXX your doctor for a prescription of a pro- biotic.

3. I would like you be on soft liquid diet until you can tolerate solid diet. If the vomiting and diarrhea continues please XXXXXXX a physician immediately.

Please get back to me with the answers; I am awaiting your reply.

I wish you a speedy recovery

Follow-up: Severe vomiting with diarrhea. Is it food poisoning? 26 minutes later
I was getting cold & clammy. Then I was shivering all over. My wife came in to the room saw that I was going pale so she made me drink a large glass of water. Now the shivering is slowing & my colour is getting better. She also gave me buscopan,& the diarrhoea's starting to ease. She keeps trying to make me drink water so I take as much as I can but my feet are still cold.
Answered by Dr. Rakesh Madhyastha 11 minutes later
Thanks for reverting.
Your wife has done well by keeping you hydrated. Paleness of skin was probably because of dehydration and also a fall in blood pressure. I would suggest that you take plenty of water. Adding sugar and salt, as I had suggested previously, would help even more.
Please follow the advice I had given earlier.

I would suggest that you see your physician immediately if:
1. You have light headedness or a fall in urine output
3. Persisting uncontrolled diarrhoea and vomiting or pass bloody stools
4 You develop fever
I hope I have answered your query. Please accept my answer if you have no further queries.
I wish you a speedy recovery