Severe throat pain after drinking vodka. Not cured by ibuprofen. Is there any complication?

I drank quite a few drinks the other night (vodka). stayed out til very very late ok I will admit til the mornning but NO drugs. got home was super hungry and I remember literally scarfing down about 2 or 3 bites of toast with big scoops of hummus until all of a sudden I noticed my throat was extremely hurting me to a point that I was almost crying. Its been 3 days now, been taking emergenC, water and salt gargle, ibuprofen and a couple of honey lozenges and its not going away!! my throat looks really red with no signs of inflammation and no white spots. no fever but just on and off my body feels down but I think maybe from the soreness. The pain gets bad then it subsides then it gets bad again throughout the day.
Posted Tue, 12 Feb 2013 in Drug Abuse
Answered by Dr. Sundar Gnanavel 7 minutes later
Thanks for your query. Since the onset of above symptoms is subsequent to consumption of alcohol, i would immediately think of ruling out mallory-weiss tear which can manifest with similar symptoms. It requires a subsequent surgical opinion and intervention. Alternately, it could be just local infection in which case antibiotics would work. Hence, i suggest you do not try remedies by self. Rather, visit a general surgeon/gastroenterologist who might try out an endoscopy procedure to rule out the above. Do not waste further time.
Dr Sundar
Addiction medicine specialist