Severe pain in throat due to recurrent tonsillitis. Is there any permanent cure?

ENT Specialist
My 14 yr old daughter was taken to primary care last Sunday & diagnosed with tonsillitis for the 4th time in 5 months, prescribed penicillin. I had her back at the doctors on Thursday morning. She's no better at all, no temperature now though she did have for the initial period. She's on penicillin, 8 per day, nurofen & soluble paracetomol. She's extremely lethargic. I noticed this afternoon she's started to snore when asleep and complains of lots of spit at the back of her throat, which is still very red and swollen, and still has the white spots.An hour ago she's started saying the pain is even worse, than it has been all week. She's been off school all week. Usually the symptoms go after 24 -36 hrs but this isn't going at all. She's tired all the time. Won't eat anything except ice cubes , ice cream etc, but she is drinking plenty. Nothing seems to be working, but she has no temperature.
Posted Thu, 18 Apr 2013 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. A.K. Srivastava 3 hours later

Thanks for writing to H.C.M. for your query.

I have gone through your query regarding severe pain in throat due to recurrent tonsillitis.

As you said that your daughter had 4 episodes in 5 months, now she is facing much problems as not getting relief by conservative treatment.You are advice here to do some basic investigations as-

(a) Culture and sensitivity of throat swab.

(b) Blood -CBC, ESR, ASO titre, Serum creatinin, blood sugar -F. P.P.,

(c) X-Ray chest.

(d) Urine -Routine and microscopic.

(e) Thoruugh cardic examination to rule out Rhumatic heart disease.

Since your daughter is at present not responding well to penicillin so with the concent of your treating doctor you may add antiobiotic Erythromycin to get added responce and later on switch over to antibiotic as recomonded by culture and sensitivity report of throat swab.

As soon as this acute phase is over you should plan for tonsillectomy operation, as 4 attacks in 5 months and history of joint pain is strong indication for tonsillectomy.

I hope this will help your daughter.