Severe pain in throat and chest after drinking cold soda. What could be the cause?

ENT Specialist
I drink a cold soda first thing in the morning and It goes down wrong causes severe pain in my throat and chest like there's a rock stuck in my esophagus and I end up fainting and blacking out. What can be causes this.
Posted Tue, 20 Nov 2012 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Sumit Bhatti 8 hours later

Thank you for your query.

1. The most common cause for this is acidity,stress, indigestion or acid reflux followed by the sudden stimulation by the cold soda leading to a vasovagal attack. In most cases, this is harmless. However it must be investigated to prevent it from happening again.

2. You should inform a doctor who can keep you under observation for 24-48 hours.

3. Get neck chest, abdominal x-rays and an ECG done. If these are normal, there is no cause for worry.

4. A spasm of the throat and esophageal muscles must be ruled out since you have that rock hard feeling in the chest. Obstruction is suspected if you have vomiting. Did the pain radiate to the back? Achalasia should be ruled out.

5. The decision to do a USG (Ultrasound) Abdomen, an endoscopy and any need for medication should be left to your doctor.

I hope that I have answered your queries. If you have any further questions, I will be available to answer them.