Severe head pressure, eye swelling, slurred speech, buttocks and thighs numbness. What can be the matter?

Hello for the past year and a half I have been suffering from the following: sever head pressure when is at it's worst my eye swells, I loose balance, slurred speech and I am a little incoherent, i can be bedridden for days at a time from this. Within the past six months these symptoms have been developing: Vibration/numbness/tingling from behind my butt, down the thigh and raps around to the foot (sciatic never I am assuming), slow heart rate or heart palputations, hip pain, my hip clicks, mood swings, hands and feet tingle, nausea, sore all over. I can not go on like this. Ive seen 6 or 7 neurologist, cardiologist, general doctor, Ive been to physical therapy, had nerve blocker shots (21 in total), blood flow tests, MRI on the lower back , neck, xrays of hip etc and no one seems to know what is the mater with me. I am frustrated and angry. Can someone please help or give me an idea.
Posted Sun, 8 Jul 2012 in Brain and Spine
Answered by Dr. Shiva Kumar R 10 hours later
Hello and thank you for sending your question.

Your question is a good one and I will work on providing you with some information and recommendations regarding the symptoms you are experiencing.

From the details provided, severe head pressure with swelling of the eyes can be due to conditions like tension type or a combination of vascular headache and tension type headache. Often these headache are due to sleep disturbances and underlying anxiety, stress and depression. Medications like amytryptylline, topiramate will be of use in these conditions. If you have already used and found no benefit then Botox injection would be an ideal option in you for your pressure or tension type headaches.

Regarding the episodic loss of balance, slurred speech and incoherence which lasts for days I feel this could be due to anxiety and stress. Rarely conditions involving the cerebellum (episodic) can cause such problems. However symptoms usually appear in infancy and are progressive which is not the case in you.

Regarding the other sensory symptoms in the legs, hips, mood swings and body aches, I would like to think of the possibility of secondary fibromyalgia in you.

So I personally feel common trigger for all these problems are anxiety, stress or sometimes heavy exercises. Treating or suppressing these trigger factors would control or cure most of your problems. Medications like Pregabalin & amitryptylline would be of benefit to you for tension type headache and fibromyalgia. Long term counseling and follow up with your Neurologist, psychologist and occupational therapist would be of benefit.

I thank you again for submitting your question. I hope you find my response to be both helpful and adequate.

If you have any additional concerns regarding your question I would be happy to address them.

Dr Shiva Kumar R
Consultant Neurologist & Epileptologist.