Severe hairfall, had IVF. Whats the cause for hair loss?

My age is 32 and since 3 weeks I am having severe hair fall daily and I think 60 % of my hair is gone
I have not done any change in weight but had my ivf in march ..plz help me
Posted Mon, 9 Jul 2012 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Rohit Batra 13 hours later
Thanks for writing in.
Hair fall at such a fast pace might be telogen effluvium , which occurs after a gap of 2-3 months of any stressful event like typhoid, pregnancy etc.
Alopecia totalis is another condition where hair fall in large patches can occur very fast.
I would be in a better position to answer your query if you could please send in a couple of photographs, the medications that you have been receiving (if any) apart from those for IVF and if you have suffered from any condition in the past 4-5 months.

Dr.Rohit Batra
Follow-up: Severe hairfall, had IVF. Whats the cause for hair loss? 5 hours later
I have not been Ill or taking any medications but I have been to Pune and since then
I am having hair fall ie only while combing the hair is coming out from root and ther are no patches on head...plz let me know what to do as I have very long hair and thick which became thin
Answered by Dr. Rohit Batra 3 hours later

Thanks for your follow up query.

Any sort of hair fall should be first investigated properly and then only a treatment would be effective I encourage you to visit your dermatologist and discuss to find the true cause. Treatment options include topical minoxdil, oral biotin, calcium pentothenate, enzyme XXXXXXX solutions, etc.

From where I see, hair fall only while combing with no patches seems normal. A diet XXXXXXX in protein goes a long way in giving hair strength and volume. Nevertheless, I would request you to please visit a qualified dermatologist and start any of the aforementioned treatment if needed.

Hope this helps. Let me know if you have any other queries.

Dr.Rohit Batra