Severe diarrhea. Took Immodium. On soft diet. Should I go to the doctor?

diarrhea, m34, 2.5 days only yellow water stool, took immodium day 3 but not helped so far..already on liquid/soft diet since day one..should i see a doctor?
Posted Fri, 20 Apr 2012 in Digestion and Bowels
Answered by Dr. Jasvinder Singh 1 hour later

Any diarrhea with fever along with fever indicates the presence of invasive bacteria causing the same.

By invasive, I mean that the bacteria have a tendency to invade the bloodstream from the intestine.

The common organisms are E. coli and shigella.
A stool examination for the ova and cysts of the organisms could facilitate in finding the underlying pathogen.

I’ll suggest taking a course of antibiotics like ciprofloxacin/ofloxacin for the same after consulting your physician.

Sometimes, amoebiasis can also present with similar complaints. For the same, metronidazole or ornidazole is the drug of choice.

Imodium does help in preventing the worsening of the diarrhea but whenever there’s an associated fever, it needs to be treated by antibiotics.

Hope this answers your query. If you have additional questions or follow up queries then please do not hesitate in writing to us. I will be happy to answer your queries.

Please accept my answer in case you have no follow up query.