Severe chest pain. Prescribed with creon for pancreas inflammation. Could my doctor be wrong?

General Surgeon
I have a severe pain in the middle of my chest. My doctor said it is the pancreas I'm feeling and he gave me Creon for the pain which isn't working. I thought the pancreas was below the rib cage on the left side. Could he be wrong?
Posted Fri, 1 Nov 2013 in Abdominal Pain
Answered by Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 43 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Yes, he can be wrong.

Detailed Answer:

Thank you for the query.

Well, yes, he can be wrong. Especially if he hasnt ruled out other diseases.
For pancreas inflammation the pain is usually in the upper middle abdomen and radiates to the back. Diarrhea and weight loss is quite characteristic.
Middle chest pain can be caused by stomach issues or by heart problems.
If the pain appears after a meal, nausea is present, it is associated with stomach diseases like peptic ulcer, stomach inflammation or Helicobacter Pylori infection.
If the pain radiates to the left arm or jaw, appears after physical activity, heart seems more probable.

I suggest you to have some tests done:
- blood work, liver tests, pancreas tests (amylase, lipase, urine amylase) and abdominal CT (this test is necessary to diagnose pancreas diseases)
- if this tests will be negative or peptic ulcer seems most probable, gastroscopy should be done
- heart condition should be checked with ECG

In a meanwhile please avoid fatty foods, spicy foods, fried foods, coffee and alcohol.

Hope this will help. Feel free to ask further questions.