Severe bloating, stomach tightness, fatigue, wants to take activated charcoal, antacids, on IUD, having periods. Causes of bloating ?

I am 29 years old 5'9 and 160 lbs and I have problems with severe bloating in my stomach. When I eat my stomach gets tight and hurts. I look at least 6 months preganant and it is embarrasing. Recently I tried to eat smaller portions because I thought it might be my eating habits but my symptoms got worse. I got extremely fatigued as if I wasnt eating enough.My stomach went down some but after a week or so I couldnt take the feeling of being completely exhausted.I have had 3 chiidren so I know what pregancy feels like this almost feels like that except I have an IUD and have periods. They last two or three days and not sure if that is normal either. Im really confused not whether I should see a doctor or not?? I am worried
Posted Tue, 1 May 2012 in Digestion and Bowels
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 11 minutes later
Excessive bloating after meals may be due to food, eating habits, or disorders in the stomach, small intestine or gallbladder. Severe bloating is a chronic problem and prevention is the best treatment.The main factors responsible for indigestion are-
2. Eating hurriedly without chewing properly.
3.Food allergies like beans, onions, etc.
4.Lack of exercise.
5. Improperly cooked food.
6. Mouth breathing
7. Nasal blockage
8. Hyperventilation related to anxiety
9. Regular gum chewing, etc.
Treatment is by removing the cause.
This in mild cases can be managed with dietary and lifestyle changes. Take the following steps to help manage your symptoms:

1. Increase the amount of fluid you drink, especially water. Avoid carbonated drinks and alcoholic beverages.

2. Avoid foods that cause gas, such as beans, broccoli, cabbage, and XXXXXXX The amount of gas that different foods cause varies from person to person.

3. Avoid swallowing air. Swallowing air may increase your symptoms.

4. Eat slowly. Avoid gulping food or beverages. When you rush through meals or eat on the run, you are more likely to swallow air.

5. Chew your food thoroughly before you swallow.

6. Avoid drinking through a straw.

7. Avoid chewing gum or eating hard candy.

8. Do not smoke or use other tobacco products.

9. Keep calm. Tension and anxiety can cause you to swallow air.

Some foods to be avoided include certain fermentable short-chained carbohydrates that are degradable by intestinal bacteria yielding large amount of gases, like hydrogen or carbon dioxide, thus causing belching and bloating. Such food include

1. White bread, pasta, pastries, cookies, onions, and asparagus, leeks, garlic, chicory roots and chicory based coffee substitutes.

2. Legumes (soy, beans, chickpeas, lentils), cabbage and brussel sprouts.

3. Honey, dried fruits like prunes, figs, dates, or raisins, apples, pears, sweet cherries, peaches, agave syrup, watermelon, papaya.

The treatment in severe cases would be with prescription medications (Haloperidol, Reglan, chlor ) which can be provided by your primary care provider.
In the mean time, Use of OTC medications mentioned below can be used to have some relief.

1. Activated charcoal (Charcocaps) , will absorb the excess gas produced.

2. Antacids, such as Di-Gel, Maalox Anti-Gas, and Mylanta Gas, allow gas to be belched away more easily.

I hope my answer and recommendations are adequate and helpful. Waiting for your further follow up queries if any.