Ask a Urologist   »  

Severe bloating and swelling of stomach. HCG is negative. Why do I have trouble with urinary incontinence?

I have servere abdominal swelling/bloating and i look 26 weeks pregnant but hcg is neg, i also have trouble with urinary incontinence.
Posted Tue, 22 May 2012 in Urinary and Bladder Problems
Answered by Dr. Aparna Kohli 29 minutes later

Thanks for writing in.

I do not think the urinary incontinence and the swelling in your abdomen is related. Bloating in women can be related to lactose intolerance, gluten intolerance and lack of exercise. This would imply that you are intolerant of certain foods or not able to digest your food well.
However, we would need to rule out an abdominal swelling as well. As far as the swelling in the abdomen is concerned, it could be due to fat, fluid or stools. In obese people, fat could be a cause. Fluid accumulation in the abdomen can occur due to several reasons and needs to be confirmed by a physical examination and an ultrasound of the abdomen. Lastly, constipation can lead to impacted stools.
For this, I would suggest the following:
a. Try and avoid all dairy products for 1-2 weeks. Note the difference
b. Restrict the amount of gluten you are taking. Sources of gluten include wheat, rice and breads
c. Exercise for about 50 minutes daily. You can walk/jog or do whatever you like
Try these measures for 1-2 weeks. Also, I would like you to see a physician for an examination and for an ultrasound of the abdomen.

As far as the urinary incontinence is concerned, it could be related to a prolapse or a uterus, the bladder and the rectum weaken causing them to move downwards. This leads to urinary incontinence and in some cases, fecal incontinence as well. I would request you to answer the following questions so that I can help you better:
a. Since how long do you have the incontinence?
b. Do you have incontinence of stools as well?
c. Do you have any other symptoms like burning while urination or frequency of urination?
Awaiting your reply
Follow-up: Severe bloating and swelling of stomach. HCG is negative. Why do I have trouble with urinary incontinence? 31 minutes later
i have incontinece for a nearly a year. No stools incontinence and no other urinary symptoms. I had a pelvic scan which was clear, i also tried detrusitol which had no benefits
Answered by Dr. Aparna Kohli 39 minutes later

Thanks for writing back.
The incontinence could be related to prolapse. I do not expect detrusitol to produce any benefit in this condition. Prolapse is commonly seen in women who have multiple child births.
However, it could also be related to stress incontinence if it is associated with only coughing, sneezing or laughing.
In both these conditions, the pelvic floor which is made of muscles becomes weak due to which there is incontinence.
I would suggest you keep a record of what precipitates the incontinence and the amount of fluid you are consuming.
In both these cases, I would suggest you see a gynaecologist. A simple examination would be able to distinguish these conditions.
Treatment can then begin depending upon the identified cause.
Hope this helps. I will be available for follow ups.