Severe ankle pain, swelling, arthritis ruled out, on BP medicines. Permanent relief measures and its dosage?

Excellent

Orthopaedic Surgeon
Question
My wife is having severe ankle pain and swelling.All the tests prove no Arthrities.she is on Hypertension treatment AMLONG 2.5mg and tenoric 50 once a day. Ecospirin AV 150/20 at night.When she takes pain killers like Nimesulide+serratiopeptidase there is temporary relief.Fed up with too many tests finally no result.what medicine can give relief and how long can it be taken?Live in INDIA.
Posted Mon, 3 Jun 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints

Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 39 minutes later
The severe ankle pain and swelling that your wife is having can be due to a ligament tear, muscle sprain, cardiac causes, long term analgesic use, diabetes, renal causes, deep vein thrombosis, etc.
She needs investigations like MRI of the ankle joint, Color doppler to check venous flow, renal function tests and a complete cardiac panel test to find out the exact pathology.
Since it is a long standing problem, you need to consult an Orthopedician for a direct examination and the necessary investigations. Also, it would be helpful if your could upload all her reports in the box provided on the right hand side of the query box.

I hope this answers your query.
I am available for any more concerns you have.
Regards.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.

Follow-up: Severe ankle pain, swelling, arthritis ruled out, on BP medicines. Permanent relief measures and its dosage? 45 hours later
All the medical reports have been sent.They may not be in order.We consulted an ortho,who had satisfactorily treated the knee problem earlier.Now he has turned greedy and forced us to accept his proposal of administering some injection at a cost of Rs 0000/-every year and that too at his clinic.
Other ortho said it is not necessary and asked us to contact a rheumatologist.That report from XXXXXXX Hospital is also enclosed.The Doctor Ms XXXXXXX XXXXXXX said that the problem is life long and has to be managed with pain killers only.Not happy with the suggestion,we approached you.

Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 1 hour later
There are no medical reports attached. This is a receipt for inverter repair.
Please reload the reports along with the prescription slips of the doctor for better understanding.
Regards.

Follow-up: Severe ankle pain, swelling, arthritis ruled out, on BP medicines. Permanent relief measures and its dosage? 1 hour later
sorry for the error.all reports are sent now.pls see.thanx

Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 46 minutes later
The same receipts have been sent again.
Please attach the relevant reports and prescription slips.

Follow-up: Severe ankle pain, swelling, arthritis ruled out, on BP medicines. Permanent relief measures and its dosage? 8 hours later
Reports sent.

Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 8 hours later
I have seen all the reports. Your wife is having post menopausal thinning of the bones - osteoporosis which is causing the pain and swelling in the joints including ankle.
She is getting the right treatment with pain killers, local hot fomentation, topical analgesic gels. Vitamin D3 supplements can be taken orally along with calcium supplements since there is no acute deficiency. She can avoid taking the injection.
This is a progressive age related degenerative disorder.
She can start with walking and aerobic fitness exercises, quadriceps strengthening, patellar tapping, lateral heel wedges, etc- under the guidance of a physiotherapist for a long term benefit.
A Big No to Stair case and squatting postures.
All these measures will help in gradually relieving her symptoms.
Regards.

Follow-up: Severe ankle pain, swelling, arthritis ruled out, on BP medicines. Permanent relief measures and its dosage? 4 hours later
Dear Doctor'Thanx for the opinion.One last question;how long can one take non steroidal pain killers?As there is temporary relief with SN15 and similar drugs.

Non steroidal pain killers are the safest way to relieve pain. These can be taken for 5-7 years at a single stretch without any considerable side effects.
The doses need to be adjusted according to the severity of the pain.

Dear Doctor,The interaction with you has been very helpful.I only wish all doctors follow you in being tranparent to the extent needed to ease out a patient.The mental relief that we couldnot receive even after several personal visits,to others,so far,has been satisfactorily obtained,that too at a very very affordable cost,not to ignore the swift action,which needs special appreciation.

I only hope that using the stairs and squatting are resumable activities at a later date and not for the rest of life.

May your tribe increase.Thanx and regards XXXXXXX XXXXXX

Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 4 hours later
Thank you.
I am glad I could help.
Squatting and using the stairs can be resumed after the acute pain subsides and she does a regular hot fomentation and physical exercises as advised by the physiotherapist.
You can consult me again directly through my profile URL http://bit.ly/Dr-Praveen-Tayal
Please accept my answer in case there are no further queries and recommend our services to your friends too if you have found it helpful.
I wish you the very best in whatever you do.
Warm regards