Several discs in lower back out of place. Constant pain. Physical therapy didn't help. Will percocet help?

Spine Surgeon
Question
I have several disc's in my lower back out of place. I have MRI's showing lower #2 and #3 disc degenerative. I am in constant pain, sometimes severe. I work a physical job in an automotive assembly plant and have been there 16+ years. I am 41 years old. I did physical therapy for many weeks and did not help at all. Can you help me with the pain? I can't miss work to have surgury. Maybe I can have surgury late in the year but for now I need help... I was hoping to be prescribed percocet 10mg or higher. It seems to help with pain on my bad days. and Lortab 7.5 or ultram for my good days. Thank you
Posted Tue, 22 May 2012 in Back Pain

Answered by Dr. Krishna Kumar 5 hours later

Thank you for sharing your problem with me.

You certainly have back pain due to degenerated discs which is one of the baffling cases to manage. If you are not ready for surgery, you can opt for an injection called epidural injections given by surgeons or pain physicians for temporary relief.

But having said that you should get a standing x-ray (in forward and backward bending positions) to rule out any instability of your back bones.

Please continue your oral medications meanwhile.     

Hope that I have been of help to you.