Sever knee pain, walk a lot actively. Is this why? How can I reduce pain?

Hi,im 25 years old,5.2"height and 43kgs weight.From past few months im suffering from severe knee joint pain.Iam an active person i do walk a lot,may be that was the reason.I need your advice.Please suggest me what to do to reduce my pain.
Posted Tue, 1 May 2012 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 54 minutes later
At your young age, the pain in the knee is more likely to be due to stress related minor capsular inflammation rather than decrease in the joint lubricants.
For symptomatic relief:
1. Give enough rest to your knee- use a knee brace.
2. Take mild pain killers like acetaminophen or ibuprofen.
3. Stronger prescription NSAIDS with muscle relaxants may help if simple analgesics do not help.
4. Hot compresses to your knee will be useful pain relieving measure. You may apply a local analgesic gel on that area.
5. calf and hamstring stretches can be helpful under the guidance of a physiotherapist after the acute pain subsides completely.
If the pain is not relieved with these simple measures then I encourage you to consult an Orthopedician for proper examination and management.
Hope this answers your query. I will be glad to answer the follow up queries that you have.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Dr. Rakhi Tayal.