Second degree Sunburn and severe itching. What is the remedy?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
I have second degree sunburns and am itching uncontrollably. What will make it better?
Posted Sun, 10 Jun 2012 in Sun Burn
Answered by Dr. Aashish Raghu 1 hour later
Hi there.

Sunburns are usually superficial burns which involve only epidermis or outer layer of skin. In some persons severe burns called Second degree sunburns can also occur.

This is characterized by extremely red skin which may have blisters producing discharge on the skin surface. In this case the dermis or deeper layer of skin is also involved which can be XXXXXXX because of the risk of infection, dehydration.

Kindly do not scratch the itchy areas as this can lead to open portals for infection.

You may apply a clean cloth soaked in room temperature water or cool water.

You may apply Lactocalamine lotion to affected area especially the itchy areas.

Eat a balanced diet XXXXXXX in proteins, XXXXXXX leafy vegetables. Drink 1-2 litres of ater daily.

I would advise you to consult a Dermatologist as you may need topical antibiotic cream as well to prevent infection especially if there are blisters. Creams containing sulphadiazine will be very useful but some patients are very allergic to this medication which is why it would be better to get a thorough physical examination before the right medication is prescribed.

Next time kindly use effective clinically proven sunscreen while going outdoors. Avoid sun exposure as much as possible. Carry adequate fluids with you for proper hydration.

I hope I have answered your query. I will be available to answer your follow up queries.

Wishing speedy recovery.