Scratching on skin. Sensation of movement on body. Why did I have lumps on body? Are they scabies?

Hi, 8 months ago I went to the movies and there was a strange feeling going up my legs. I thought it was dry skin from the new soap I was using. 3 Weeks later, I notice the feeling has turned into some kind of movement along my body, I was thinking mite. I call a pest company and they tell me it sounds like body lice, or scabies. I go see a doctor and he checks only my wrists and hair for head lice and scabies, I never removed the long sleeved shirt I had on, which I had huge lumps on my back that would not pop. He gives me a cup to put a sample in, I give him the contents of my vacuum, he then uses a thumb sized magnifying glass to look it over after he shakes it up making it dusty. He sends me to mental health, I pass all their tests and they tell me next time this problem comes up, I will be givin pyscho medication. Now 8 months later...anyone I come close to starts scratching within seconds to a minute, mostly their face and hair as this mite travels straight up. I am not the only person who notices this, my friends and family both notice this when I come close to them and other people, they make me stay at a distance when I am with them. It makes me feel bad to see a kid telling his parents he is itching and they don't know why, or when I go to the movies or airports and see everyone in a circle around me scratch their faces and hair uncontrollably, and work is another ball game seeing these people on a daily basis pick their faces with tissue. I have no idea what to do, the doctors I have seen completely dismiss me without even taking samples. What is this that is on me? Also how can I stop passing it on? BTW I have treated this like it was scabies, permethrin, washing of clothes everyday, vacuum, even staying in other hotels...I notice these mites are not just pouring out of my clothes, they are coming from me, I am unable to get a hold of permethrin again do to online stores stopping their sells, so I am 4-5 months without skin treatment other then showers. I am in the military as well, and afraid of the consequences if I go to the doctor again.
Posted Tue, 12 Jun 2012 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Gaurang Krishna 31 minutes later

Thanks for writing in.

The problem you are having doesnt sound like scabies at all.

It is impossible that a person who comes in contact with you starts scratching within seconds. The incubation period of scabies is a month. Lets say, you do have scabies. And you do trasmit the mite to others. It will take atleast a month for the itching to show in them.

I am sorry, but I tend to agree with your treating physicians that you may not have scabies at all, and most of this is in your mind only.

This may not be the answer you are looking for, but it is a fact.

You have already seen good qualified doctors and you have also got yourself treated for scabies. Scabies responds very well to permethrin. No change in the itching and the feeling of mites crawling even after adequate treatment is a testament in itself that you do not have scabies.

you may be having Formication or delusional parasitosis.

I think you must see a therapist. I am sure you will benefit out of it.

I hope I have answered you query.
if you have any further questions please do not hesitate to aks me

Follow-up: Scratching on skin. Sensation of movement on body. Why did I have lumps on body? Are they scabies? 12 hours later
I am treating myself for scabies because I do not know what it is, I know it is not scabies. How come my family and friends notice this also, how come they feel whatever it is on their faces and in their hair even after I have moved away from them. How come they see multiple people scatch often while I am close to them. I have gone untreated for 5 months. Again, I know it is not scabies.
Answered by Dr. Gaurang Krishna 21 hours later
Thanks for writing back.
I think we need to concentrate on your problem here and not worry about what other people are doing. There is no disorder as such which will be transmitted so soon that people around you start scratching when you are just close to them. it can be a simple coincidence and I think we can leave it at that.
If you are doing ok, that is all we should be concerned about here.
Hope this helps