Scratched vagina. Will this go away on its own or leads to UTI?

I scratched the inside of my vagina. It hurts and I'm wondering if A) it will heal on its own and B) could this lead to a UTI? Ouch!
Posted Thu, 2 May 2013 in Vaginal and Uterus Health
Answered by Dr. Rhea Chanda 2 hours later
The vaginal mucosa becomes dry with age and hence,any small trauma can have consequences. Its important that you try to see if any open wound is there.If so,you might need some antibiotics antibiotic ointment. If there is no obvious injury,it will heal on its own. It unlikely that this will cause an UTI. Try to keep the mucosa lubricated and clean.