Scraped knuckle. Why is my skin flaky and white? Will it affect pregnancy? Is it hepatitis infection?

Excellent

Question
The other day I scraped my knuckle on the door handle of the police station where I work. This entrance is used by EVERYONE. The scrape looked like only dead white falkes got raised, no blood came from it and there is absolutely no scab or anything less than two days later. The skin was a little red on the day I did it but looks absolutely normal now. I know I may be a little paranoid but I am pregnant and have two small children at home. I'm concerned about hepatits or something like that. My common sense is telling me that I would have had to blled and all that if there was something on the handle, but I would appreciate some professional opinion. This entrance is used by drug users signing in, etc.
Posted Wed, 30 May 2012 in Infections

Answered by Dr. Ashwini Kolur 2 hours later
Hello

I will try my best to provide you with best possible professional recommendations to your questions.

By the above mentioned event the chances of you getting hepatitis B or any other infection is highly unlikely.

As you have mentioned you are pregnant, I want to know how many months and it would be better if you mention whether you have taken tetanus toxoid injection. It would be better if you take tetanus toxoid injection as soon as possible if you have not taken it.

As you are pregnant I think you might have taken it, as is given in the first trimester soon after your pregnancy tests are confirmed and after your first antenatal appointment.

Other than that you need not to worry about. I advise you to go for regular ante natal check-up and to be careful during pregnancy.

Yet again, I do hope that you have found something helpful and I will be glad to answer any further query.

Hope I have cleared your queries. If you do not have any clarifications, you can close the discussion and rate the answer.

Follow-up: Scraped knuckle. Why is my skin flaky and white? Will it affect pregnancy? Is it hepatitis infection? 1 hour later
Thankyou. I had tetanus shot less than a year ago. I was more concerned about something like hepatitis B, C, or HIV or something like that. So, your saying I should not worry about that. Based on this, I'm assuming it's not transmitted this way?

Answered by Dr. Ashwini Kolur 7 hours later
Hello
Good to hear from you.

Chances of being transmitted like that are highly unlikely.
I was concerned about the tetanus and as you have informed that you have taken injection TT, I think you are fine.

I advise you to be careful and when ever such incident occur wash the affected area with running water and soap.

Wish you good health.